Thursday, July 24, 2008

Update

So I spent my first week in the schools as you can see from the pictures below. Amber and I are working at the junior primary school, Inkazimulo. I helped Ms. Madlala everyday with her first graders who have limited English of course which is always fun! The school has all black children and for some of them we are the first white people they have ever seen. We caused quite a scene our first day because the children would follow us around in a large pack everywhere that we walked. They would reach out and pinch us...not to hurt us, but just touch us and see what we felt like. It has been very interesting. One little boy in my class always wants me to help him because my hair hangs down over him and he reaches us up and touches it every time. :) The children have warmed up to us and will now give a handshake or say Good Morning. Some brave souls even grab our hands and walk with us. The children from Makaphutu who attend Inkazimulo love having us there. They always come find us during lunch and after school. I think they feel special that we know them so well and they know us. We rode the bus with the kids the first two days and it was quite interesting waiting on the street for an hour before the bus arrived. We are close to many townships and white people are not a common occurence...especially two very tall, really white people like Amber and I. haha. But I believe the experience of getting to know us has been good for the children. Our teachers have been very welcoming and we have appreciated their friendship. I will type more later. We are always rushed because we get done with homework club at 5:00 and then rush into town before this internet cafe closes at 6:00. Miss you all...will post more later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cass, It sounds like you will have some very unique experiences to tell us. I can't imagine not seeing another color of race. You guys are aliens to them. God bless you and thanks for the update. Zoe is fine!! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Cassie,
I am so amazed! I can picture the kids coming to see what you feel like and I can only imagine how it must feel to see how they live. It breaks my heart that such precious children have to go through those hardships. You are such a blessing to them and to everyone who knows you! Have fun! -Shannon

Kelly said...

Thanks for the update Cass! What kind of games do they play there?

Anna said...

Hey, Cass! Your kids are precious! Thanks for the pictures and the updates. I'm sure you are having the time of your life.